The Ludington harbor was first constructed in 1867. The first pierhead light was constructed of timber in 1870 and stood 25 feet above the water and housed a 5th order fresnel lens. This light was destroyed by ice in 1876 and was replaced by a 29 ft. tall structure with a 6th order lens in 1877. Several other lighthouses were built as the breakwater was extended further into Lake Michigan. The current 57 ' tall pier light was built in 1924. It was one of the first to use a US built fresnel lens, this one a 4th order lens. The light was automated and the fresnel lens replaced with an acrylic one in 1972. The White Pine Village Maritime, Museum south of Ludington, displays the original fresnel lens.