Big Sable Point Lighthouse History
--1867: Lighthouse construction began; construction of cream city brick with walls 5 feet thick at the base; quarters also constructed of cream city brick for keeper; 3rd order Fresnel lens installed
--1899: Cream city brick was discovered to be flaking and the tower was clad with steel plates, riveted together with the void between the brick and the plating filled in with cement
--1909: Fog signal installed; second keeper employed; addition built to the residence to house the second keeper and his family
--1933: Road built to the lighthouse
--1943: Seawall installed to protect the tower
--1949: Lamp replaced with electricity
--1968: Electric lamp automated; keeper eliminated
--1977: Seawall breached and repaired
--1983: Registered in the National Register of Historic Places
--1987: Big Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association begins restoration

(c) Sidney P. Sytsma, 2007 --- All rights reserved --- sid@sytsma.com
All images and text can only be used by permission.