The Big Sable Point Lighthouse was constructed, beginning in 1867 at a cost of $35,000. It housed a 3rd Order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse itself stands 112 feet above grade and was built of cream city brick with walls 5 feet thick at the base, tapering to 2 feet thick at the top. In 1899, in response to the deterioration of the brick, the lighthouse was encased in a steel jacket. The original lighthouse keepers residence was a story and a half and also constructed of cream city brick. The residence was remodelled and enlarged in 1909 when a fog horn was installed and an assistant lightkeeper had to be housed. The lighthouse was electrified in 1949 and with automation, the need for a keeper was eliminated in 1968.